The jury have reached their decisions: the ten finalists of the Art Rocks! Boijmans Music Competition have been announced. The ten best tracks have been selected from no fewer than 193 entries. The public now has the honour of deciding the outright winner of the Art Rocks! Boijmans Music Competition during the final on 23 June.
Choosing nine finalists from 193 surprising entries is no easy task. Luckily the job was carried out by a jury of professionals: music journalist, and radio presenter, Jasper van Vugt; art historian, Kees Hogenbirk; editor of LiveXS, Klaas Knooihuizen; and singer, Odilo Girod. They listened to all the tracks and selected nine acts for the grand final. The tenth finalist, the pop/rock band Try Acrobatics gained the most public votes on www.artrocks.nl.
The ten finalists
We are proud to announce the ten finalists who have taken musical inspiration from a work of art from the museum’s collection.
1. Thumos with ‘Fare Thee Well’ about ‘Couple aux têtes pleines de nuages’ by Dalí
2. De Marskramer Anno Nu (The Pedlar Today) with the eponymous track about the work by Hieronymus Bosch
3. Anne Vanschothorst with ‘Dance! Marie Dance!’ based on the ‘Little Dancer of Fourteen Years’ by Degas
4. Drs. B with ‘De haven van Rotterdam’ (Rotterdam’s Harbour), inspired by the work by Paul Signac
5. Lilian Hak with ‘Weary Life’ inspired by ‘Let Your Hair Down’ by Pipilotti Rist
6. Myrthe van de Weetering with ‘Don’t Let Your Head Hang Down’ about the ‘Portrait of Arman Roulin’ by Vincent van Gogh
7. Pitto with ‘You And Me’ about the work by Dalí
8. Villeneuf with ‘Cities We Will Burn’ inspired by ‘De toren van Babel' (The Tower of Babel) by Bruegel
9. Peter de Jong & Band with ‘De Schiettent’ (The Shooting Gallery) about the painting by Pyke Koch
10. Public favourite: Try Acrobatics with the track ‘Replica’ based on Magritte’s painting ‘La reproduction interdite’
Vote for your favourite
Each of the ten finalists is currently filming a video in the museum. The videos will be posted on www.artrocks.nl on 6 June. From that date until 23 June you can watch the videos on the site, share them with your friends and vote for your favourite.
The final of the Art Rocks! Boijmans Music Competition will take place on Saturday 23 June 2012 from 8.00 p.m. until midnight. The ten finalists will perform live in the museum. The public will decide who goes home that night with 1000 euros and a Museumkaart. There will also be performances by well-known acts such as Lucky Fonz III and Giovanca. The cross-media project Art Rocks!, which builds a bridge between visual art and music, will reach its festive conclusion on this evening. The final, fill of musical surprises, is open to all, free of charge. Don’t miss your chance to decide on the winner!
Foretaste with Git Hyper & Far I
On Sunday 3 June producer and DJ Git Hyper (Erwin Zimmerman) will perform on his turntables together with rapper and poet Far I throughout the museum. The duo has performed in the museum before, surprising the public with beats and raps inspired by various works of art. Click here for an impression.
Click here for more information about this event.
Read more about Art Rocks! at www.artrocks.nl
Art Rocks! has been made possible by the BankGiro Loterij, the cultural lottery of the Netherlands.
The Art Rocks! Boijmans Music Competition has been organised in partnership with De Grote Prijs van Nederland.