- The museum
- Calendar & Exhibitions
- Support Boijmans
Jury debate and presentation of Rotterdam design prize 2011
Exhibition Rotterdam Design Prize 2011
26 November 2011 – 12 February 2012
From the Vlaamsch Broodhuys to costumes for the Black Eyed Peas; the nominations for the Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 are more diverse than ever before. The winner of the Rotterdam design prize and also the winner of the Premsela Public Prize will be announced in a suitably festive way on Sunday 12 February.
The biennial exhibition of the Rotterdam Design Prize opened its doors on Friday November 25. The fifteen works, put forward by five scouts, are shown in a unique way in an unusually designed exhibition. Thanks to the diverse visions on design held by the scouts, the list of nominees is extremely varied. From an opera with microscopic worms to proposals for the Market of Tomorrow.
Curator Sophie Krier nominates:
Industrial designer Matthijs van Dijk
|Fashion designer Aziz Bekkauoi nominates:
- Bart Hess, various designs
- Rogier van der Heide, various lighting projects
- Pieke Bergmans, light Blubs and Llove Hotel interior
|Design duo Blom&Moors nominates:
- Jeanne van Heeswijk, Freehouse
- Rietveld Landscape, Vacant NL ‘where architecture meets ideas’
- Waag Society, Open design
|Graphic designer Joost Grootens nominates:
- Catalogtree, TouchDoc ‘Money & Speed - Inside The Black Box’
- Hans Gremmen, various photography books and projects
- Piet Hein Eek, The Factory
An international jury, made up of Susan Szenasy, editor in chief of Metropolis Magazine (NY), Sebastian Wrong, designer and creative director of Established and Sons, and Lars Müller, graphic designer and publisher of Lars Müller Publishers, will choose the winner of the Rotterdam Design Prize 2011. During the jury debate prior to the announcement, they will give their personal visions on the nominations and the approach adopted for the prize. Moderator Sarah Meuleman will ensure that scouts and nominees will be given the opportunity to respond. This debate will be held in English and a video will be posted on designprijs.nl. At around 3 pm, Ahmed Aboutaleb, the mayor of Rotterdam, will announce the winner of the Rotterdam design prize 2011, who will receive a cheque for 15,000 Euro. Johan Kleyn, chairman of the Supervisory Board of Premsela will reveal which of the nominees has received the most votes from the public and therefore wins the Premsela Public Prize worth 5,000 Euro.
The Rotterdam Design Prize is more than just an exhibition and debates in the museum. Attention will be given to the competition on TV, at the design fair Object Rotterdam and online.
- until Saturday 11 February: voting for the Premsela Public Prize.
- Sunday 11 December and Sunday 15 January: public debate with the scouts and the nominees in the museum.
- Thursday 9, Friday 10 and Saturday 11 February: talk shows with professional designers, during which soundings will be taken of the final voting for the Premsela Public Prize on the exhibition floor of Object Rotterdam at 3.30 pm.
- Sunday 12 February: announcement of the winners after the closing debate with the international jury.
The Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 is a joint project of Stichting Designprijs Rotterdam, Premsela the Netherlands Institute for Design and Fashion, and Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen. The Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 is made possible in part by the city of Rotterdam’s art and culture department.
For more information or/ and images, please contact the Marketing and Communication Department
+31 10 44.19.561