Nominations Rotterdam Design prize 2011 announced
Exhibition Rotterdam Design Prize 2011
26 November 2011 - 12 February 2012
From the Vlaamsch Broodhuys to costumes for the Black Eyed Peas; the nominations for the Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 are more diverse than ever before. The nominees were announced in a festive manner on Friday evening, 25 November. That same evening, the exhibition of the nominated works was officially opened in Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen and the public could cast their vote for the Premsela Public Prize.
The biennial exhibition of the Rotterdam Design Prize opened its doors on Friday November 25. The fifteen works, put forward by five scouts, are shown in a unique way in an unusually designed exhibition. Thanks to the diverse visions on design held by the scouts, the list of nominees is extremely varied. From an opera with microscopic worms to proposals for the Market of Tomorrow.
Curator Sophie Krier nominates:
- Matthijs Munnik, Microscopic Opera
- Monique van Heist, hellofashion
- Ester van de Wiel, Eetbaar Landschap, NuHier and Werkplaats Buijtenland Industrial designer Mattijs van Dijk nominates:
- NRC Media, NRC Handelsblad and NRC Next
- Philips, MyAmbiance LED bulbs
- Dimitri Roels, Vlaamsch Broodhuys
Fashion designer Aziz Bekkauoi nominates:
- Bart Hess, various designs
- Rogier van der Heide, various lighting projects
- Pieke Bergmans, light Blubs and Llove Hotel interior
Design duo Blom&Moors nominates:
- Jeanne van Heeswijk, Freehouse
- Rietveld Landscape, Vacant NL ‘where architecture meets ideas’
- Waag Society, Open design
Graphic designer Joost Grootens nominates:
- Catalogtree, TouchDoc ‘Money & Speed - Inside The Black Box’
- Hans Gremmen, various photography books and projects
- Piet Hein Eek, The Factory
An international jury chooses the winner of the Rotterdam Design Prize 2011. In addition to the jury, an important role is also reserved for the public. Premsela, the Netherlands Institute for Design and Fashion is organizing, in collaboration with Stichting Designprijs Rotterdam, the Premsela Public Prize. Everybody can vote for his or her favorite either at the exhibition, via designprijs.nl or via the free ‘design prize’ app. The winner of the Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 and also the winner of the Premsela Public Prize will be announced on 12 February during a final debate held in the museum. With prizes respectively of € 15,000 and € 5,000.
The Rotterdam Design Prize is more than just an exhibition and debates in the museum. Attention will be given to the competition on TV, at the design fair Object Rotterdam and online.
• until Saturday 11 February: voting for the Premsela Public Prize.
• Sunday 11 December and Sunday 15 January: public debate with the scouts and the nominees in the museum.
• Saturday 7 January: first Dutch television broadcast about the Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 in a series of six in Avro’s Kunstuur, each Saturday at 5 pm.
• Thursday 9, Friday 10 and Saturday 11 February: talk shows with professional designers, during which soundings will be taken of the final voting for the Premsela Public Prize on the exhibition floor of Object Rotterdam at 3.30 pm.
• Sunday 12 February: announcement of the winners after the closing debate with the international jury.
The Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 is a joint project of Stichting Designprijs Rotterdam, Premsela the Netherlands Institute for Design and Fashion, and Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen. The Rotterdam Design Prize 2011 is made possible in part by the city of Rotterdam’s art and culture department.
For more information or/ and images, please contact the Marketing and Communication Department
+31 10 44.19.561